Members of the community are invited to participate in a variety of Advent and Christmas events and worship services at the United Protestant Church of Grayslake, including three Christmas Eve worship services. The church is located in historic downtown Grayslake at the corner of Park and Whitney Streets.
- Saturday, Dec. 3: Tenth Annual Cookie Walk from 9-11 a.m. Shoppers may choose from delicious home-made cookies, candies and holiday treats, all priced at $7 per pound. The festive event will be held in the lower level of the church Fellowship Hall, The Cookie Walk is sponsored by the UPC Women’s Christian Fellowship, with proceeds to benefit their mission activities.
- Saturday, Dec. 10: UPC members and friends will personally deliver Christmas gifts to more than 120 veterans who are residents of the North Chicago Veterans Administration Hospital as part of the UPC’s annual Veterans Giving Tree project.
- Sunday, Dec. 18 at 8:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Sunday worship services will feature a cantata presented by the UPC choirs, under the direction of Olga Bornovalova. In addition, babies born to UPC families during 2010 will be recognized.
- Saturday, Dec. 24 Christmas Eve Services at 5, 7 and 11 p.m. The 5 p.m. children's service is a unique opportunity for children to take part without rehearsing in a poignant story about Santa's workshop with a visit by the Christ child. Children from three years of age (or younger, if accompanied by a sibling) through high school are invited to take part in our spontaneous celebration of the Christmas season. With no rehearsals to attend and no costumes to purchase, participants simply arrive at church by 4:45 p.m., select a part to play and follow their guide as they act out the narrator’s story in this Do-It-Yourself Pageant. The 7 p.m. service is a joyful uplifting celebration for all ages, and the 11 p.m. service is a beautiful and traditional candlelight welcome for the Christ child, both featuring special music.
- Sunday, Dec. 25: Christmas Sunday worship at 10:30 a.m. only (no church school)
- Sunday, Jan. 1: New Year’s Sunday worship 10:30 a.m. only (no church school)
About United Protestant Church
Sunday worship services are at 8:15 and 10:30 a.m., with Christian education for all at 9:15 a.m. Childcare is available all morning. The United Protestant Church of Grayslake is made up of two denominations: the United Methodist Church and the United Church of Christ. The senior pastor is Rev. Dr. David Russell of the United Church of Christ. The associate pastor is Rev. Orrell Ruth of the United Methodist Church. The website address is www.upcgl.org. The church is located in downtown Grayslake at the corner of Park and Whitney Streets at 54 S. Whitney St. For more information, call (847) 223-8131. An elevator and handicapped parking are available at the west entrance.
- Submitted by Diane Rarick for the UPC.