District 46 has made arrangements with the following organizations to provide childcare should there be a teacher strike beginning Wednesday, Jan. 16.
- Champions will operate from 6:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Prairieview, and open Meadowview only as an overflow.
- Champions will offer two cost levels: $20 for part day up to four hours. Lunch would be an additional $3. A full day of daycare plus lunch will be $33.
- Champions will waive the registration fee for all new families needing care during the strike.
- Parents will need to register on-line for the special rates for the strike and complete all portions of the enrollment process. (Link available soon)
Parents with questions should call Laura Zuniga, Area Manager, at (847) 360-0361 or (224) 280-4876, or call Imelda Rios, Program Coordinator, at (847) 360-0298.
Champions will not operate at Prairieview for Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Jan. 21. Ordinarily, Champions families would go to Woodland Elementary, so that same schedule will continue to apply.
Grayslake Park District
The Grayslake Park District will be offering two "Strike Camps" as an alternative to parents needing childcare should there be a teacher strike.
- Camp service will be available Jan. 16-18 at the Park District Community Center in Grayslake. Spaces are limited due to the size and other programs.
- An expanded program will be available starting Tuesday, Jan. 22 held at Grayslake Middle School.
- Camps will run from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at a cost of $30 per day and $25 per day for each additional sibling. Camp is for grades K-8.
- Activities will include crafts, movies, games, gymnasium activities and sports.
- Children will need to bring a snack, sack lunch, drink or water bottle daily. There is no refrigeration available.
Contact the Grayslake Park District at (847) 223-7529 or check the Website www.glpd.com for more information.