District 46 Board Slated to Vote on Budget Cuts Wednesday
The list of proposed cuts totals about $1.45 million. What's on the list?
The Grayslake District 46 Board is set to vote Wednesday night on a list of about $1.45 million in proposed budget cuts to help plug the district's $2.2 million deficit.
The agenda for the March 20 meeting, slated for 6:30 p.m. at Prairieview School, includes discussion and a vote on the following proposed cuts:
- Reduce 14.5 FTE teachers, $725,000
- Reduce 4 FTE teachers special education teachers at Woodview, Park, Frederick and Grayslake Middle Schools, $200,000
- Reduce 2.5 physical education teachers in K-4 buildings by reducing periods by 10 minutes, $125,000
- Reduce 2 social workers, $151,921
- Reduce 1.2 Spanish teachers, $60,000
- Reduce building budgets by 10 percent, $52,000
- Reduce tech budget by $50,000
- Eliminate position of pre-K coordinator, $30,000
- Adjust substitute pay, $20,000
- Reduce board budget by $19,250
- Reduce business office budget by $10,000
- Reduce superintendent budget by $5,000
- Eliminate NWEA testing for kindergarten, $5,000
Superintendent Ellen Correll presented these options to the board at its Feb. 20 meeting.
The board recently voted down a proposed $10 registration fee increase.
What do you think of these proposed cuts? Tell us in the comments!