Super Bowl Snack Recipes
Whether your team is playing or not, everyone looks forward to Super Bowl-style eating. Here are some easy recipes you can whip up yourself at home.
On Feb. 3, Super Bowl Sunday XLVII will commence. Some people look forward to the game, the funny commercials and the halftime show (Destiny’s Child reunion!). But others are solely there for the wings, the nachos and the pizza—and rightfully so.
There’s something about Super Bowl food that gives the day an almost Thanksgiving-like aura. Both events boast a big, communal meal—except on Super Bowl Sunday, it’s usually deep fried and covered in Buffalo sauce.
Try these easy recipes:
Wendy’s Super Easy Super Bowl Guacamole
- 1 bag of ripe avocados (4)
- 1 container of fresh salsa from Trader Joe’s (Closest location: Algonquin) (spiciness dependent on your taste)
- 1 – 3 large cloves of garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- Peel and pit avocados.
- Mash the avocados in a non-metal bowl (if one or more of them seems a wee bit under-ripe, chop instead of mashing).
- Drain the fresh salsa well (I usually use the lid to squish the salsa down and pour the liquid into the sink) and add it to the mashed avocados.
- Add the pressed or chopped garlic and the cumin.
- Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs (adapted from Rachael Ray) - serves 8
- 2 pounds ground white meat chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s or Cholula)
- 3 scallions, green and white parts thinly sliced
- Store-bought, good quality blue cheese dressing for dipping
- 1 bag pre-cut celery sticks
- 1 bag pre-cut carrot sticks
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with the onion, garlic and cilantro or parsley, and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Shape the chicken mixture into balls—you should have 32 meatballs in total.
- Arrange the meatballs on a wire rack on a foil-covered sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until the meatballs are cooked through and golden brown, about 10-12 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, melt the butter in a large, flat bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add the hot sauce and whisk to combine.
- In the pan, toss the baked meatballs in the hot sauce to coat (you may do this in batches) and transfer to a serving platter.
- Place the blue cheese dressing in a small serving bowl and garnish with chopped scallions.
- Serve the meatballs with toothpicks alongside the blue cheese dressing, celery and carrot sticks.
1 (1 pound) loaf round bread
1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese
2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 cup cooked ham, diced
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut a circle in the top of the bread. Remove top, and set aside. Hollow out the loaf, reserving removed bread for dipping.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, ham, green onions, green chile peppers and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon into the bread bowl, and replace the top. Wrap loaf tightly in foil, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until cheese is melted and bubbly, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cut reserved bread into small pieces. Toss with oil and melted butter, and place on the baking sheet. Toast in oven until golden brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
7 Layer Taco Dip (adapted by allrecipes.com)
Don’t forget the chips. Enjoy!
- 1(1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch chopped green onions
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Blend the taco seasoning mix and refried beans in a medium bowl.
- Spread the mixture onto a large serving platter.
- Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl.
- Spread mixture over the refried beans.
- Top the layers with salsa.
- Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions and lettuce over the salsa.
- Top with cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives.
TELL US: What are some of your favorite recipes for a Super Bowl party? Share in the comments below.