The District 46 teacher strike has ended following more than six hours of negotiations between the school board and union at Park School Sunday.
The following statement is posted on the district Website:
The District 46 Board of Education and the Lake County Federation of Teachers local 504 have reached a tentative agreement in their contract negotiations, and the three-day school strike has been suspended. Classes will resume at Avon Center, Meadowview, Prairieview, Woodview, Frederick, Grayslake Middle School, and Park Campus on Tuesday, January 22, following the already scheduled day off Monday for the Martin Luther King holiday.
The tentative agreement outlines the terms of a new two-year contract. No details will be shared until it is ratified by the teachers' union membership and then approved by the District Board, which is expected over the next week or so.
"This tentative agreement is indicative of our shared dedication and commitment to working together to meet the needs of all members of the District 46 community - teachers, students, families and taxpayers," said Ray Millington, District 46 Board chairman.
More than 300 teachers went on strike Wednesday, Jan. 16 following an eleventh-hour negotiating session on Jan. 15. As a result, classes were cancelled for some 4,000 students for three days.
It is not yet known when the contract will be ratified, though the next regular school board meeting is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23, at Frederick School.
No details of the contract agreement will be disclosed prior to the ratification of the contract, though the sticking point was teacher compensation and retirement.
- Oct. 12, 2012: The school board declares an impasse. The union prepares to vote to authorize a strike.
- Oct. 16: Teachers' union approves an authorization to strike if necessary.
- Oct. 25: The board and teachers' union post their best and final offers of the contract.
- Oct. 30: The Board of Education and the teachers' union meet for the first time with a federal mediator.
- Nov. 12: A second bargaining session results in little progress.
- Nov. 13: A strike date of Jan. 16 is announced.
- Nov. 28: Some progress is made during a negotiation session between the two sides, however a contract agreement is still not reached.
- Dec. 11: The first 'Town Meeting' is held by the D46 Board to address concerns from the public.
- Dec. 20: The district announces it is accepting applications for substitute teachers in preparation for a potential strike by the union.
- Jan. 9, 2013: A second 'Town Meeting' is hosted by the D46 Board.
- Jan. 11: Another negotiation session is held.
- Jan. 12: Both sides agree to negotiate once more on Jan. 15.
- Jan. 15: An eleventh hour session fails to bring about an agreement.
- Jan. 16: Day 1 of the teachers' strike.
- Jan. 20: A tentative contract agreement is reached after more than six hours of negotiations. School is scheduled to resume Tuesday, Jan. 22.