Fall has arrived! Happy first day of Autumn. It really will feel like fall outside this weekend, but that doesn’t mean the fun stopped in Lake County. Here are some of my picks on things to do this weekend. What are you plans for the weekend and where is your favorite place to experience fall in Lake County?
1. Bring your children to the Great Lakes Naval Museum on Saturday at 1pm to learn how the United States Navy hid its ships in plain sight using camouflage, also known as Razzle Dazzle. The Great Lakes Naval Museum is free and open to the public, so while the kids are learning about a 900 ton ship, parents can observe artifacts from the Navy’s history.
2. Stop by Downtown Antioch this Saturday from 5pm – 11pm for the 99 year Street Dance and Fireworks show. Dance the evening away to the music of Modern Day Romeos and Bella Cain. The village has rescheduled their 4th of July fireworks show for Saturday evening.
3. Celebrate farm life from the turn of the century to the present at the Farm Heritage Festival at the Lake County Discovery Museum in Wauconda on Saturday and Sunday from 9am – 4pm. This festival will feature a multitude of entertaining activities and demonstrations including sheep herding, wagon and barrel rides, scarecrow making and more.
4. Kick off the beginning of autumn at the 37th Annual Fall Festival this Sunday from 12pm – 4pm in Deerfield’s Historic Village. This family friendly free event will feature historic building tours, food, entertainment and an antique and classic car show. Children can partake in games, hands-on activities and visit a one-room schoolhouse.
5. Let the Tempel Lipizzans enchant you with their elegant dance moves, awesome strength and powerful spirit all set to classical music. The last performance of the season is Sunday, September 23 from 1pm – 3pm at Tempel Farms in Old Mill Creek. The whole family will enjoy witnessing the play of newborn foals and the leaps of athletic stallions.
A weekend full of family fun adventure can be found on VisitLakeCounty.org.