During homecoming season in September and October, the Lake County Underage Drinking Prevention Task Force conducted alcohol compliance checks at 118 establishments throughout the county.
Police cited 10 area stores with violations, including stores in Grayslake, Lake Zurich, Mundelein, Riverwoods and Winthrop Harbor
Teenagers working with the task force purchased alcohol using identification that showed they were under the legal age of 21, according to a news release from the Lake County Underage Drinking Prevention Task Force.
The Grayslake Police Department reported the following establishments failed the compliance check:
- Wine Knows (1130 E. Washington St., Grayslake)
- Rio Tequila Bar and Tex-Mex Cuisine (Formerly Rudy’s Mexican Grill, 55 N. Barron Blvd., Grayslake)
The following establishments passed the test:
- Extra Value Food and Beverages (10 N. Lake St., Grayslake)
- 7-Eleven (1280 N. Route 83, Grayslake)
- Grayslake Stop & Shop Marathon (735 E. Route 120, Grayslake)
- J & E Pantry (771 N. Route 83, Grayslake)
- Walgreen's (40 E. Route 120, Hainesville)
- 7-Eleven (92 W. Route 120, Hainesville)
- Emil’s Restaurant (161 Center St., Grayslake)
- The Vine (101 Center St., Grayslake)
Grayslake Police Chief Philip Perlini said individual employees of these establishments were cited.
The sale of alcohol to a person under 21 years of age is illegal under local and state laws and is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, fine or probation, according to the Lake County Underage Drinking Prevention Task Force.
"Consistency from community to community and monitoring underage drinking issues will help us be successful in addressing this problem and saving lives," stated Mundelein Police Chief Ray Rose, who co-chairs the Lake County Underage Drinking Task Force.
"Our desire is to see 100 percent compliance, but it is refreshing to see the majority of businesses realize the seriousness of this issue and did not sell alcohol to the underage participants.”
Departments that participated in the compliance checks included Buffalo Grove, Deerfield, Grayslake, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Lake Zurich, Mundelein, Riverwoods, Winthrop Harbor and Zion.