The Grayslake Area Public Library will participate in Teen Read Week from Oct. through Oct. 19.
Teen Read Week is a national literacy initiative of the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), a division of the American Library Association, aimed at teens, their parents, librarians, educators, booksellers and other concerned adults.
As part of the initiative, the Grayslake Public Library will be encouraging teens to "read for the fun of it."
The week is a time to enjoy reading for fun and to encourage teens to take advantage of reading in all its forms: books, magazines, E-books, audiobooks, and more.
Teens who come to the library and stop by the Adult Reference Desk will receive a free paperback book.
In recent years, many families have had to adapt to make do with less as a result of the economy. As many have learned unsurprisingly, the library is a great place to start.
“Teen Read Week" is a great opportunity to educate teens and their families about all the free services the library can offer while also encouraging teens to explore all the different resources and services it provides.
Strong reading skills are also more critical than ever because it can translate into better performance at school. This is why it is important to show them that reading is a fun and relaxing activity they can do for free.
Parents of teens are encouraged to get involved with Teen Read Week, as well. Grayslake Area Public Library offers these ideas:
- Visit the Grayslake Library with your teen to attend a program or to check out materials.
- Make sure your teen has a library card and/or it is valid and up to date.
- Set aside time each night for the family to read.
- Give books or magazine subscriptions to your teen as a gift or reward.
- Share your favorite book with your teen.
- Encourage your teen to join Teen Advisory Group (TAG), a group for teens to get together and advise the Grayslake Library on teen programming and discuss books and current topics. The next TAG meeting will be Tuesday, October 1, 2013 from 6:00 – 7:00 pm.