The 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq began 10 years ago on March 19, 2003, and although officially "over," fighting continues with discouraging persistence.
By one count, the war is directly responsible for 189,000 deaths, not including those who died from hardship caused by the fighting, according to www.costofwar.com.
CNN has a stunning map of all casualties in the Afghanistan and Iraq wars.
In all, 4,802 Americans and allies have died in the war, according to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, including 162 soldiers from Illinois.
Iraq and Afghanistan casualties from our area, from the CNN war casualties website, which includes photos and profiles.
- LCpl. Sean P. Maher, 19, of Grayslake, was killed Feb. 2, 2005, in Iraq.
- Spc. Joseph Whiting Dimock II, 21, of Wildwood, was killed July 10, 2010, in Afghanistan.
- Spc. Wesley Robert Wells, 21, of Libertyville, was killed April 20, 2004, in Afghanistan.
- Sgt. Gary Joseph Vasquez, 33, of Round Lake Beach, was killed Sept. 29, 2008, in Afghanistan.
- Sgt. Robert M. Weinger, 24, of Round Lake Beach, was killed March 15, 2009, in Afghanistan.
- Spc. Jaime Moreno, 28, of Round Lake Beach, was killed Oct. 13, 2004, in Iraq.
- Sgt. Uday Singh, 21, of Lake Forest, was killed Dec. 1, 2003, in Iraq.
- Pfc. Geoffrey S. Morris, 19, of Gurnee, was killed April 3, 2004, in Iraq.
- Cpt. Shane Mahaffee, 36, of Gurnee, was killed May 14 2006, in Iraq.
- Spc. Andrew Paul Wade, 22, of Antioch, was killed March 9, 2011, in Afghanistan.
- Sgt. Edward G. Davis III, 31, of Antioch/Waukegan, was killed April 28, 2006, in Iraq.
- Maj. Paul R. Syverson III, 32, of Lake Zurich, was killed June 16, 2004, in Iraq.