- Wonderland Express. A winter wonderland of 750,000 twinkling lights and a 10,000-square-foot exhibition of miniature trains that wind over bridges, under trestles, past waterfalls and through more than 80 mini-replicas of Chicago's favorite landmarks. Open all week from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Road, Glencoe.
- A Dickens Christmas Exhibit. Through Sunday, January 6th, celebrate the festivities with a special holiday expansion of the Lake County Discovery Museum's newest exhibit, Dickens: 200 Years of Celebrity. Stroll through a historically recreated mid-1800s street to learn what influenced Charles Dickens to write his classic tale A Christmas Carol. View an exclusive private collection of vintage cards, calendars and figurines inspired by A Christmas Carol, The Pickwick Papers and other Dickens stories. Lake County Discovery Museum, 27277 Forest Preserve Rd., Wauconda.
- Winter Wetland Botany. On Sunday, January 6 at 3 p.m., participate in a workshop that will teach you how to identify a variety of wetland trees, shrubs and dried forbs in their winter conditions. This activity begins indoors with a self-paced study of herbarium specimens. The afternoon is spent along the boardwalk discovering the species in their natural wetland habitat. For adults and attentive kids ages 11 and older. Volo Bog State Natural Area, 28478 W. Brandenburg Rd., Ingleside.
- My One and Only. The roaring 20s are back in this Gershwin tap dance extravaganza. An aviator has one ambition, to be the first man to fly non-stop to Paris. However, he meets the girl of his dreams and their romantic pursuit is sidetracked by a series of misadventures. Show times are Friday, January 4th at 8 p.m., Saturday, January 5th at 4:30 p.m. & 8 p.m. and Sunday, January 6th at 1 p.m. & 5 p.m. Marriott Theatre in Lincolnshire, 10 Marriott Dr., Lincolnshire.
- Trains of Grayslake and Lake County. Come out and learn about the trains of Grayslake and Lake County. Terry Norton will share his images of Lake County trains as he narrates this 45 minute lecture. Saturday, January 12th at 2 p.m. Grayslake Heritage Center, 164 Hawley St., Grayslake.
A weekend full of family fun adventure can be found on VisitLakeCounty.org.