- Chain O’Lakes Kennel Club Dog Show. Friday, Jan. 25 – Sunday, Jan. 27 from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Exhibitors from the Midwest and beyond attend this annual dog show event. Come out to see various breeds in person and then speak with the breeders and exhibitors to learn more about which type of dog may be right for you. Admission is $5 per car. Lake County Fairgrounds, 1060 E. Peterson Rd., Grayslake.
- Three Friends of Winter Bonsai Silhouette Show. Friday, Jan. 25 from 5:30 p.m. – 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 26 & Sunday, Jan. 27 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. This popular silhouette bonsai show features deciduous trees in their dormant phase highlighting branch structure. Celebrate the beauty of winter in honor of the Japanese tradition of Three Friends of Winter: bamboo, pine and plum. Family activities include creating scrolls reflective of bonsai silhouette shapes using shades of black ink in the sumi-e tradition. Chicago Botanic Garden, 1000 Lake Cook Rd., Glencoe.
- 4th Annual Ice Fishing Derby. Saturday, Jan. 26 from 7 a.m. – 12 p.m. Registration for the 4th Annual Ice Fishing Derby begins at 5 a.m. and requires an entry fee of $15 per person. The event is located at Lake View Villa Park on Monroe Ave., south of Bonner Rd. in Wauconda. Prizes will be awarded for the biggest northern, bass, crappie, bluegill and perch. Additional prizes will be awarded through side raffles. Bangs Lake, 600 N. Main St., Wauconda.
- Lake Villa’s Annual Winter Ribfest. Saturday, Jan. 26 from noon – 4 p.m. Enjoy a family friendly event with great food, hayrides, children’s games, a rib eating contest, crafts and much more. Admission is one non-perishable food item. Ribs will be supplied, so bring your famous recipe and show the neighbors how to barbeque ribs. Caboose Park, 37908 N. Fairfield Rd., Lake Villa.
- Early Music Series: Metropolis Quartet. Sunday, Jan. 27 at 7 p.m., Live music of the Classical and Baroque Eras with the Metropolis Quartet will be performed at the architecturally beautiful 110 year old Byron Colby Barn. The program features pieces by Giardini, JC Bach, Marcello, Gatti, Telemann and Druschetzky. $18 for adults, children under 16 are admitted for free. Byron Colby Barn, 1561 Jones Point Rd., Grayslake.
A weekend full of family fun adventure can be found on VisitLakeCounty.org.