Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Tuesday night's rain broke the record for wettest April.
Tuesday night’s rainfall resulted in this April being the wettest in Chicagoland history. The National Weather Service recorded .70 inches of rain at O’Hare which brings the total for April to 8.54 inches, topping the previous record set in 1947 with 8.33 inches. It's the rainiest April in the 143 years that rainfall has been recorded in Chicago. Here are Chicago's Top 5 wettest Aprils: 1. 2013 8.54 inches 2. 1947 8.33 inches 3. 1975 7.84 inches 4. 1909 7.73 inches 5. 1983 7.69 inches
Thursday, April 18, 2013
Flooding concerns continue along the Des Plaines and Fox Rivers, along with the Chain O'Lakes.
A state of emergency has been declared in Lake County due to the flooding throughout the area. At a press briefing Thursday, Lake County Board Chairman Aaron Lawlor announced that he declared the state of emergency around 9 a.m. in an effort to not only further facilitate coordination among agencies to deal with the flooding but to also attempt to get flood assistance funds from the federal government should they become available. "With three rivers running through Lake County, we have a wet topography and are prone to flooding," said Lawlor. Communities across Lake County have been inundated with upwards of 4 inches of rain, said Kent McKenzie, Lake County Emergency Management coordinator. Places that saw minor flooding are now expecting …
From interstates to local roads, our map provides updates on closures and high-standing water in your area.
From the Wisconsin border to the south side of Chicago and into the western suburbs, local roads, interstates and highways were closed Thursday because of flooding. Click through the pins above to see which roads in your area — or on your route to and from work today — have been closed due to flooding or have high-standing water. Police are encouraging drivers to avoid roadways with standing water. If you come upon an area with high-standing water or that is closed, add that information to our map by visiting this link. Otherwise, let us know about the closure by commenting below. Drivers are asked to beware of high-standing water on roadways. The water on a roadway can be deeper than it appears and can cause a vehicle to stall or be …
Wednesday, April 17, 2013
Some areas could see more than 3 inches of rain today.
A flash flood warning has been issued for northwestern Cook, Lake, northern Kane and southeastern McHenry Counties until 6 p.m. today. National Weather Service officials said there the Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms that could produce torrential downpours with rainfall rates of more than an inch and a half per hour. Overall, northern Illinois could see more than 3 inches of rain by early evening. "Do not drive your vehicle into areas where the water covers the roadway," National Weather Service said in their flash flood warning statement. "The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross safely."
Sunday, April 14, 2013
Will we see the sun this week?
First, the bad news: It's supposed to rain a lot this week. Now, the good news: Our cars will all get free car washes! Monday is set to start out with a 30 percent chance of rain, mainly after 1 p.m.—with a 50 percent chance of showers in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. The forecast high for Monday is 60 degrees. Temperatures will fall by Tuesday, with a forecast high of jsut 46. There's a 40 percent chance of showers during the day on Tuesday, with a 60 percent chance of showers in the evening. There's a 70 percent chance of showers—and possibly a thunderstorm—with a high of 48 on Wednesday. Showers are also likely on Thursday, with a high near 55. According to the National Weather Service, Friday will see a…
Sunday, April 7, 2013
The National Weather Service says we could see rain nearly every day this week!
If April showers bring May flowers, then we should see lots of beautiful blooms next month. It's going to be a rainy week! The National Weather Service's forecast for this week calls for rain nearly every day this week. But wait—it gets worse! We could even see some snowflakes! The week starts off with a 90 percent chance of precipitation, with showers and thunderstorms. The forecast high is 62 degrees with winds possibly gusting to 20 miles per hour. There's a 60 percent chance of rain on Tuesday with a high near 46. Wednesday, too, will be rainy, with an 80 percent chance of precipitation. The forecast high is 49. We could see thunderstorms Tuesday and Wednesday, and there's a chance of snow showers Wednesday night, according to the …
Sunday, February 17, 2013
What's the weather forecast for Feb. 18-24?
Northern Illinois residents, get ready to ride the weather roller coaster yet again this week. Temperatures in the mid-40s, rain and possibly even shovel-worthy snow are all in the forecast for Feb. 18-24. The week will start out with mild temperatures for Presidents' Day, with a high of around 46. There's a 90 percent chance of rain on Monday, then a chance of snow showers after 9 p.m., according to the National Weather Service in Chicago. Monday night will also be sharply colder, with a forecast low around 16 and a wind chill as low as 1. Brrr! There's a chance for flurries on Tuesday with a high near 20. The wind chill could be as low as -7 on Tuesday, with winds gusting as high as 35 miles per hour. Wednesday is expected to be sunny …
Sunday, February 3, 2013
Will northern Illinois reach 40 degrees by Sunday?
Snow, rain, highs around 40 degrees. Not surprisingly, that's all in this week's forecast. The forecasted snow Monday (with totals of 3 to 7 inches possible by storm's end) will give way to possibly even more snow on Tuesday, with the National Weather Service in Chicago predicting another 1 or 2 inches. But, as the old adage says, "If you don't like the weather in Chicago, wait a minute. It'll change." According to the National Weather Service forecast, temperatures should warm to 33 degrees with sunny skies on Wednesday. There's a slight chance of rain after midnight, and then a chance of rain and snow—with a high near 36—on Thursday. Mostly sunny skies on Friday and Saturday—with highs of 32 and 36, respectively—are expected. We'll round…
Wednesday, January 30, 2013
How much rain fell around northern Illinois between Jan. 29 and 6 a.m. Jan. 30?
Record-breaking rainfall fell in northern Illinois between 6 a.m. Jan. 29 and 6 a.m. Jan. 30. According to the National Weather Service, 1.33 inches of rain fell in Chicago, which broke the previous record of .92 inches in 1947. Here's a look at some local rainfall totals from the National Weather Service Office in Chicago: Wheaton - 1.62 Huntley - 1.59 Crystal Lake - 1.57 Algonquin - 1.53 Buffalo Grove - 1.31 Palatine - 1.30 Lake Zurich - 1.16 Lake Bluff - 1.13 Hawthorn Woods - 1.08 Arlington Heights - 1.08 Barrington - .92
Sunday, January 27, 2013
What's in store for this week in northern Illinois?
Get ready for a taste of spring this week. This week looks to be a week of weather extremes, as we flirt with spring—and have a chance for thunderstorms—before being plunged back into a deep freeze by week's end. The National Weather Service's forecast for Jan. 28-Feb. 3 calls for highs in the mid-40s on Monday, with thunderstorms possible after midnight. Tuesday will be the warmest day of the week, with forecast highs near 60 degrees. The National Weather Service is predicting a 70 percent chance of rain on Tuesday. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/National Weather Service (NOAA/NWS) Storm Prediction Center has predicted a slight chance of severe weather throughout central and southern Illinois for Tuesday. "The warm …